This post is also available in: French
Two Tibetan monks walking around the monastery
The Tashilhunpo Monastery, founded in 1447 by Gendun Drup, the First Dalai Lama, is a historic and culturally important monastery next to Shigatse, the second-largest city in Tibet. This monastery is the traditional seat of successive Panchen Lamas, the second highest ranking lama lineage in the Gelukpa (Yellow Hat Sect) tradition.
Located on a hill in the center of the city, the full name in Tibetan of the monastery means: “all fortune and happiness gathered here” or “heap of glory”.